Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University is founded as Huntsville Normal School and later becomes a land-grant institution.
1875 (Feb 1)
Alabama Agricultural & Mechanical University was founded as Huntsville Normal School in 1875. The first president was William Hooper Councill, who was formerly enslaved. It became a land-grant institution with the passage of the Morrill Act in 1890 and moved to its present location in Normal, Alabama, a suburb of Huntsville. The university achieved the status of junior college in 1919 and awarded its first bachelor's degree in 1941. In 1969, the school adopted its present name.