Bowie State University is founded.
1865 (July 7)
Originally known as Baltimore Normal School, Bowie State University was founded under the auspices of the Baltimore association for the moral and educational improvement of colored people. With money bequeathed by Black philanthropist Nelson Wells for the education of freed Black children, the school moved to a 237-acre tract in Prince George's County, Maryland. The school's name changed several times between 1865 and 1988.