Classes began for seven Black students at Branch Normal School. It later changed its name to the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff.
1875 (May 1)
The first classes at the historically Black University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff were taught to seven students in a rented building. In 1882 the state built the university a two-story brick building. From 1894 to 1929 the school, then known as Branch Normal College, operated as a junior college. University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff adopted its current name when it joined the University of Arkansas System in 1972.