The Richmond Theological Institute is founded in Richmond, Virginia.
1865 (Aug 8)
Richmond Theological Institute was founded on a site that was once a slave jail in Richmond, Virginia. The name was changed to Virginia Union University in 1899 when the institute merged with Wayland Seminary. The school later merged with Hartshorn Memorial College of Richmond and Storer College of Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. The university's mission was to free the mind of the newly emancipated through education in a humanistic environment.