Wilberforce University founded.
1856 (Feb 1)
Amidst a cry for the end of slavery, Wilberforce was founded in 1856 as Wilberforce university of the Methodist Episcopal church and named after British abolitionist and philanthropist William Wilberforce. The school was part of a plan to establish education for Blacks in Ohio. Wilberforce was sold to the A.M.E. Church in 1863 and awarded its first bachelor's degrees in 1867. Wilberforce was distinguished as the first Black college and the first college with a Black president.